Diet and exercise: the two key factors that determine one’s health. We all know that a sedentary lifestyle can lead to all kinds of problems ranging from mental to emotional to physical. Pile on bad food on top of that and you have a recipe for disaster.
Many people have a consistent exercise routine that they end up “plateauing” on. That is to say, they reach a point where it becomes difficult or impossible to continue making progress. When this happens, the best thing you can do is change up your exercise routine.
Of course, if you don’t have one, now’s always a great time to start.
In both of these cases, it’s a good idea to look into the health benefits of cycling.
Quick Facts About Cycling
- Cycling improves both strength and stamina. It not only works out all the major muscle groups, but improves muscle and cardiovascular endurance as well.
- Many see cycling as more interesting than going to the gym. Rather than staring at a wall while you workout, you can enjoy some amazing scenery if you choose the right trail.
- Cycling is a lower-impact sport than bodybuilding; there are less instances of muscle strain and injury when you cycle.
- Cycling improves mood and mental clarity. Exercise is one of the best ways to keep stress and depression at bay. Many people actually become addicted to it.
Healthwise, regular cyclers experience:
- Stronger bones
- Less body fat
- Better joint mobility
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Improved strength and flexibility in the muscles
- Less disease
- Less anxiety and depression
- Better posture
A Closer Look At the Health Benefits of Cycling
If you’re trying to lose weight, the job can’t be done without a change in diet. That said, exercise is the other factor, and weight lifting is second best to cycling in this regard. It raises the metabolism and burns calories.
This goes hand-in-hand with the weight loss benefits of cycling. Regular cyclers can have a 40 percent lower chance of developing diabetes.
What constitutes regular cycling? An easy 30 minutes per day.
Regular cycling is associated with a decreased risk for both colon and breast cancer. The risk of bowel cancer is also reduced.
Anxiety and depression are rampant in the United States, and much of this is due to the fact that people don’t get enough exercise.
Exercises like cycling build endorphins and other feel-good chemicals in the body. It also offers people a time to themselves to enjoy nature and get away from the burdens of life.
Bicycles Unlimited – Your Bicycle Shop in St. George, UT
Bicycle stores in St. George Utah can be busy places. The reason for this is simple: There are so many amazing local cycling trails and awesome weather throughout most of the year, specifically during the Spring and Fall seasons.
Our St. George bike shop offers everything the avid cyclist needs for a great trail ride. Whether you’re looking for sales, rentals, or service, you can count on us for what you need.